Let’s start out with some brutal honesty. Memphis has a lot of problems. We have a high crime rate, high taxes, and weak leadership. Our public schools are underfunded and often sub-par. Our unemployment rate is higher than the national average. So…how do you get somebody to buy a house in this city?
You have to remind people of the good things Memphis has going for it, and there really are a lot of those. So, here’s a quick list of things you can tell your clients about Memphis to help give them a nudge in the right location, location, location.
1. Our schools. No, really, there are great schools in Memphis. White Station High School is ranked the 9th best public high school in the state of Tennessee.
As private high schools go, St. Mary’s Episcopal School and Memphis University School are ranked in the top ten best private high school’s in the state.
Ready to continue your education? Rhodes college was listed as one of the top 11 colleges in the state and ranked #93 on Forbes list of the best colleges in the country.
2. Our Food. Luckily, somebody did the work on this item for me. Here’s a link to the I Love Memphis Blog: 100 Things to Eat in Memphis.Trust me, it’s way more the BBQ, although that’s good, too.
3. Things to do. There is always something to do in Memphis. Do you want museums? We got ‘em. Nightlife? Hello Beale Street (and so much more!). Theater? Concerts? Professional Sports? College Sports? We have all of that.
4. Things for kids to do. The Memphis Zoo. The Children’s Museum. My Big Backyard at the Botanic Gardens. The Pink Palace. Woodland Discovery Playground at Shelby Farms. Not to mention summer camps and other activities that pop up throughout the year.
5. Great People. Memphis has it’s share of problems, there are leaders in this city that are working for change. Don’t you want to be a part of something great?
6. The Housing Market. I didn’t forget that this is a real estate blog. Your clients aren’t going to want all fluff, so hit them with this gem. CNN Money listed Memphis as one of the top 10 hottest housing markets in the country.